The office of Assemblymember Sarahana Shrestha is fighting to empower the working class and invest in public goods. In addition to providing constituent services to our neighbors in the Mid-Hudson Valley, our office seeks to change the way that politics works. We develop grassroots leadership and build collective power to win transformative change for a more just society.
We are looking for a Part-time District Organizer who can help us respond to constituent cases and organize events. This position will be based out of our district office in Kingston and will be supervised by our Chief of Staff.
- Working with the Constituent Services Director to:
- Respond to constituent inquiries, providing ongoing support and information to constituents
- Liaise with government agencies to resolve unemployment, housing, and other cases
- Working with the Communications Director to:
- Do outreach to local organizations and community groups
- Organize events such as canvasses, town halls, and community meetings
- Do data entry and draft emails
- Contribute to other office projects as necessary
- Scheduling will include occasional evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with the diverse communities of the district and empathy for constituents
- Commitment to building community power
- Labor or community organizing experience
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and prioritize multiple tasks with attention to detail
- Collaborative and flexible; able to shift directions and/or tactics when needed
- Willing to try new things and eager to learn
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills
- Ability to work with basic computer applications and social media platforms
- Required to live in Assembly District 103 upon beginning of employment, and priority given to current 103 resident
Salary and Benefits
This is a part-time (21 hours/week) salaried position that pays $29,000 a year. We offer health, vision, and dental insurance as well as a retirement plan. The position also comes with sick days, vacation days, and personal time, as well as state holidays. We strongly encourage people of all socioeconomic and educational backgrounds to apply.
March 1, 2023 (somewhat flexible)
Submit a 1-page resume and a 1-page cover letter. In the cover letter, tell us in your own words why you are a great candidate for the job and do not simply repeat the information in your resume. Please submit applications to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 2/17 with the subject “District Organizer Application – [LAST NAME]”.
The Assembly is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of disability with regard to employment. People of color, women, individuals with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ+ community are highly encouraged to apply.
Checks can be made out to "Sarahana for Assembly" and mailed to:
PO Box 118, Ulster Park, NY 12487