Communications & Outreach Director
The Communications & Outreach Director executes the communications and outreach strategy for the office, including digital and print communications, writing grant proposals, planning and conducting community engagement, and representing the office at community meetings.
- Communicate on social media accounts about issues affecting constituents and the work of the office.
- Distill complex policy into easily accessible language and generally strive to make our work and priorities as easily understandable as possible.
- Document and communicate the office’s activities and accomplishments through various mediums to increase their impact with a larger audience.
- Write and disseminate regular constituent and partner emails and mailers, including working with the Assembly to ensure production, compliance, and timely delivery.
- Build and maintain a press list, cultivate relationships with reporters, and pitch stories.
- Stay up-to-date on current events that affect the district and constituents to tailor communications and create relevant, responsive communications.
- Write proposals for grants.
- Attend official community meetings and represent the office’s agenda and work, build relationships, and report back to the team.
- Plan and implement district events that are accessible to constituents, including creating event and press plans, securing vendors, managing volunteers, and ensuring turnout.
- Conduct program outreach—town halls on priority issues, resource sessions, door-knocking and actions.
- Organize events for the Member/office such as meet and greets, school visits, etc.
- Flexible hours including occasional evenings and weekends.
Key Abilities and Experience
- Speaking and/or writing knowledge of Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Impeccable writing abilities, with an eye for graphic design.
- Demonstrated skill in synthesizing complex and large amounts of information to be understandable for a general audience.
- Experience in grant-writing a plus.
- Experience in event planning, community engagement and/or organizing a plus.
- Comfort/experience with a public-facing position and excellent verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work well independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically, including in a fast-changing, often high stakes environment.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the political, social and cultural landscape of the district, as well as ability to develop an understanding of relevant policy issues.
- Required to live in the Hudson Valley, within reasonable commute to Kingston, upon beginning employment.
Salary and Benefits:
$60,000 per year minimum for a full time overtime exempt position. This position offers health, vision, and dental insurance as well as a retirement plan. When travel to Albany is necessary, lodging and travel expenses will be paid for. The position also comes with sick days, vacation days, and personal time, as well as state and religious holidays.
January 1, 2023
Submit a 1-page resume, a 1-page cover letter, and names and contact information for three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 1st at 9am with the subject line “Communications & Outreach Director.” Please keep in mind that we are looking for cover letters that tell us in your own words why you are a great candidate for the job and do not simply repeat the information in your resume.
Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to each applicant. Applicants who advance to the first round of interviews will be notified by December 8th and will be asked to submit a writing sample.
The Assembly is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in accordance with its policy of non discrimination on the basis of disability – as well as the 1990 Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), does not discriminate on the basis of disability with regard to employment.
Checks can be made out to "Sarahana for Assembly" and mailed to:
PO Box 118, Ulster Park, NY 12487